Chancery Court Hotel
HPI (UK) Ltd
High Holborn, London
400,000 sq ft
Redevelopment & Conversion, Retained Facade & Restoration
Hospitality & Leisure
Show Project DescriptionHide Project Description
The Chancery Court Hotel was completed in 1919 to designs by architects Moncton & Newman as the headquarters of the Pearl Assurance Company and served as such for nearly 80 years. It is a monumental structure in flamboyant Edwardian Baroque style, topped by a dome and arranged around a large internal courtyard. tp bennett was responsible for an extension to the building in the 1960s and returned more than three decades later to convert it to new use as a luxury, 5 star, 357 bed hotel for the Renaissance Group. The later extensions to the original building along the southern edge of the site were completely rebuilt – the scale of the replacement block defers to that of neighbouring listed buildings, including Sir John Soane’s Museum.
The original Pearl building, itself listed, was carefully converted to house the new. A major challenge was posed by the need to insert new plant and service cores, including provision for en suite bathrooms, within the existing structure. The principal interior spaces were retained largely as found with their original, often lavish decor carefully restored. Chief amongst these was the magnificent banking hall, which now houses a brasserie. The main bifurcate staircase, with its handsome display of marble, has also been retained as a prized feature of the hotel. The central courtyard has been enlarged and landscaped to provide a calm sanctuary away from the London traffic – beneath it, there is a new ballroom and function suite that can accommodate 350 diners.